MIDWEST SUSTAINABILITY GROUP – OUR NEW NON-PROFIT:
Inspired by all of our regional successes, we have formed a new non-profit called, Midwest Sustainability Group. We are in the final stages of completing our legal corporations (501-C3 and 5010C4) and our website. We’ll link to the new website as soon as it’s ready. In the meantime, you can follow us on Twitter (@midwestsg) or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MidwestSustainabilityGroup
Both IFLC and Midwest Sustainability have new logos (thanks to artist and friend, Bob Stotts for the awesome logos!) We branded them together as a smokestack morphed into a tree.
You can also find us on Twitter @incineratorfree and on
Our social media following is growing considerably, please like and follow us and help us increase our following!
NEW CAMPAIGN; A STATEWIDE CAMPAIGN ON FOODWASTE!
In an exciting new chapter for Incinerator-Free and Midwest Sustainability, we are launching a new campaign along with the Sierra Club and Illinois Environmental Council on foodwaste which is three-part:
1) Reducing food waste (food waste has huge environmental impact and was recently cited in a UN report as the 3rd largest Greenhouse Gas emitter after the emissions of the US and China!)
2) Recovering unused but still edible food and redistributing it to feed the hungry.
3) A legislative phaseout of food scraps out of Illinois landfills and in to compost.
Our campaign is called, Zero Waste; Zero Hunger and will have its own website. You can follow us on Twitter (@ZerowasteZH) and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Waste-Zero-Hunger/1477089642511389
If you’d like to help out, please contact, Barbara Klipp at firstname.lastname@example.org
TIME FOR A NEW 5-YEAR SOLID WASTE PLAN:
Can you believe it’s already time for a new Lake County 5-year Solid Waste Plan?!
Thanks to our ongoing advocacy and relationship building efforts, incineration and related combustion technologies like Gasification and Pyrolysis are NOT being considered in the new plan. We are a member of the Citizen Advisory Committee for the new plan and are proactively engaging to include even more Zero Waste activities in Lake County. Our co-founder and spokesperson, Barbara Klipp, member, Maryanne Natarajan and Midwest Sustainability Group board member, Chris Pado are all on the committee.
In addition to participating in the formation of our new plan, we are also currently shepherding the recommendations of the 60% Recycling Task Force (which our efforts helped create) through the County Board.
CLEAN POWER LAKE COUNTY:
Incinerator-Free Lake County is a coalition partner with the coalition organization, Clean Power Lake County. We are a grassroots organization whose mission is to build a healthy, clean energy future for Waukegan and all of Lake County.
Currently we are working on a just transition and closure date for the Waukegan Coal plant. We advocate for all stakeholders to be involved to see that the community, the workers and the environment is considered in future plans for this aging and polluting facility.
You can stay tuned with our activity and follow is on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clean-Power-Lake-County-Campaign/489913647728637
IN MEMORIUM; KIMBERLY THOEDE:
Last December, our beloved, co-founding member, Kimberly Thoede, lost her battle with pancreatic cancer. This was a devastating loss for us as Kimberly was, not only a co-founder, passionate advocate, inspirational leader and hard worker, but was loved by all. We are planning a fundraiser later in the year to raise funds for a grant to be given in Kim’s name for another woman making a difference to improve the quality of life in her community. Stay tuned…
NEW LAKE COUNTY SUSTINABILITY DIRECTOR POSITION:
We joined with the local Sierra Club Group to advocate for a new Sustainability Coordinator in Lake County. Environmental champion and Lake County Board Member, Pat Carey, carried this initiative as a member initiative and we supported her in this successful effort to create this new position.
We are delighted that, not only were we successful in that advocacy, but that the county was able to find an excellent candidate to fill the new position. K.C. Doyle, previously the Sustainability Director of Oak Park, is our new (and first) Sustainability Coordinator and we are eager roll up our sleeves and get to work with her!
In 2014, The American Lung Association again gave Lake County an “F” on its “State of the Air” annual report card. http://www.lung.org/about-us/our-impact/top-stories/state-of-the-air-2014-top-story.html .
We have had several activities this year in support of clean air including:
• A presentation to the Lake County Board Health and Community Services Committee along with the Sierra Club and Respiratory Health Association to advocate for greater efforts to lesson our air pollution and raise awareness
• Testifying at the US Environmental Protection hearings on the Tier 3 Tailpipe standards and on carbon emissions for coal and gas fired power plants
• Asking State Senator, Terry Link and other elected officials, to advocate for a more aggressive air monitoring program in Lake County
• Participation as a coalition partner with Clean Power Lake County
• Continuous monitoring and oversight of Countryside Landfill in Grayslake
RECYCLING & ZERO WASTE:
• ILLINOIS STATE TASK FORCE ON THE ADVANCEMENT OF MATERIALS RECYCLING:
We have been participating on the Illinois Task Force for the Advancement of Materials Recycling and advocating for Zero Waste policies at the state level. We will have ways you can support us in that effort soon.
• GRAYSLAKE BEACH CLEAN UP:
Last year, on June 8th we joined the Grayslake Park District in their annual beach clean up. It was so much fun that we decided to make it an annual event.
Our favorite moment was when IFLC member, Dick Hosteny, found a book entitled “Environmental Science” embedded in the muck along the parameter. Now that’s how we like our irony!
• SATURDAY, JUNE 7TH 8AM BEACH CLEAN UP AT GRAYSLAKE BEACH
• SATURDAY, JULY 19TH (10AM – 1PM) RECYCLING EVENT WITH STATE REPRESENTATIVE SAM YINGLING AT GRAYSLAKE NORTH HIGH SCHOOL